Menu Close

IRS Identity Theft

You may receive a letter from the IRS indicating that you have been the victim of Identity Theft, specifically that:

  • More than one tax return was filed with your Social Security Number,
  • Where records indicate you did not file a tax return, a balance due, refund offset or collection action has been taken against you
  • IRS records indicate you received W-2 wages or miscellaneous income (1099-Misc) from an employer you have never worked for.

If you receive a notice from the IRS indicating Identity Theft, it is imperative that you respond immediately – and consult an attorney – or the IRS may assume that the information it is relying on is correct.

Tax Tip – If you believe someone may have used your Social Security Number fraudulently, you may file Form 14039, IRS Identity Theft Affidavit.

The IRS will investigate your case, and usually within 180 days, report back to you their findings. The IRS will place a fraud notification on your tax account and issue you a special PIN to file future tax returns.

Related Posts